Thursday, July 9, 2009

our "pet" for the day

When we came home this afternoon, Carter found a bat hanging above the back porch light.. just chillin! How neat.. so I run to get my camera(of course) to take a picture. The more I focus on this bat I realize that it is a mommy & her pup(that's what baby bats are called) is tucked under her wing.. WOW!! I have never seen a bat pup before. They hung out there all day long.

Then tonight when we came home from going out to Boeringher's, they flew away right after we got out of the van. Momma got pretty close to my hair.. Jason thought she was gonna fly into it! Baby wasn't far behind mommy.. too cute! yes I think bats are cute.. as long as they aren't dive bombing me!
I tried to figure out what type of bat this was.. and I'm not sure if it's a big brown bat or a little brown bat. What I did find out about these neat lil creatures is that they normally have their pups in nursery colonies.. their eyes open after 24 hrs. during the 1st 2 weeks of life the pup stays nestled under the mom's wing while she is at rest.. then on the 3rd week they are able to fly. The pups stop nursing from their mom completely at 9 months..

1 comment:

The Neally Family said...

That is cool, but it probably would have scared me. I think bats are kind of cute when you actually look at them. You should put up a bat house in your backyard.